During class two very different works of art by two different artists will be provide to you, as you observe the two works carefully, take notes concerning their likenesses and differences. Thesis Statement This paper aims to discuss the various differences between two paintings of artists of two different eras.
What tools, materials, or processes did the artist use? Good interpretations of art tell more about the artwork than they tell about the critic.
For example, the family of Princess Leonilla hired Franz Xaver Winterhalter to create a portrait of her. Choose ONE of the following pairs of paintings to analyze: Choose ONE of the following pairs of paintings to analyze: What do you notice about the colors, the lines, and the relationships among the people and objects portrayed?
Medium of work whether clay, stone, steel, paint, etc. A patron commissions an artist to create a work of art. Gian Lorenzo Bernini was an Italian by birth from the city of Naples. Questions for Visual Analysis Perspective: Does the work remind you of other things you have experienced i.
Your perceptions of balance, proportion and scale relationships of each part of the composition to the whole and to each other part and your emotional j.
What point of view does the painting take toward its subject? He introduced versatility within the art forms, and created several masterpieces that truly represent Renaissance art by depicting certain social, cultural, and political issues.
Your analysis should present both your own observations and library research. Interpretations can be judged by coherence, correspondence, and inclusiveness. In your final paragraph, summarize your main points and clearly present the significance of your analysis.
The portrait of Princess Leonilla is smooth, and the lines are crisp and defined, while The Convalescent by Degas has a rougher and more scraped surface.
Students will be able to broaden their visual insights when looking at art, making a verbal understanding of art influential in their own physical work. Analysis of use of light and role of color, e.
It is also fuzzy, less crisp, and less defined than the portrait of Leonilla. Effect of particular medium s used i.
The Neoclassicism Era also gave birth to many exemplary artists Chilvers,including Antonio Canova, who was an Italian sculptor from the Republic of Venice. The artists widely reflected the culture, social conditions, and political structure of their societies.
Grades 9—12 Advanced 1. Compositional Features How are the details of the painting arranged?ART CRITICISM AND FORMAL ANALYSIS OUTLINE. ART CRITICISM. Defining Art Criticism · Art criticism is responding to, interpreting meaning, and making critical judgments about specific works of art.
· Art critics help viewers perceive, interpret, and judge artworks.
· Critics tend to focus more on modern and contemporary art from cultures close to their own. Writing a Formal Analysis in Art History The goal of a formal analysis is to explain how the formal elements of a work of art affect the representation of the subject matter and expressive content.
The emphasis should be on analyzing the formal elements—not interpreting the artwork. That said, an understanding of the meaning of the work is the final goal of any formal analysis.
ART CRITICISM AND FORMAL ANALYSIS OUTLINE. ART CRITICISM. Defining Art Criticism · Art criticism is responding to, interpreting meaning, and making critical judgments about specific works of art. · Art · an artist writing about other artists. individual artist over time.
• In describing the individual pieces, keep to the same conventions used when doing an individual formal analysis.
• Ask yourself why this comparison is relevant. There is a wealth of information in why your professor has asked for a comparison of two particular pieces.
Comparing and contrasting two works of Art Abstract This paper is going to be comparing and contrasting two works of Art from different times so as to point out the key differences in their styles, eras, societies and characteristics.
- A Comparison of Impressionism and Post-Impressionism In this essay, I will contrast and compare the two art movements, Impressionism, and Post-Impressionism. I will be concentrating on the works of the two leading artists of these styles Claude Monet and Vincent van Gogh.Download